Tuesday 3 September 2013

Busy As Bees

This weekend I pulled coriander, parsley, and dill to dry - and my kidney bean plants, in advance of the rain that I worried would start them moulding where they sat.  I also pulled the cucumber and squash vines from the hoophouse, since the temperature is starting to drop, and I didn't want to close in the tomatoes with a potential for mildew growing right next to them.....

The last of the potato crop was finally gathered (and we had some lovely potatoes with chives and butter for dinner), and the plastic that was protecting the tubers from rot went down on either side of the hoophouse, to slow the uptake of water from the rain - so that all of those green tomatoes don't burst before they ripen!

 
It's like they're taunting me in there!

 
The bees are putting away pollen (you can see the various colours) and nectar, though their reserves of honey are not where I would like them to be.

 
We observed the queen again - the lady in the middle of the pic with the long body.... She's still laying eggs, but there was also a queen cell being built (not occupied), that I broke off of the comb.  We added an additional bar to show them they have lots of room right where they are.


We banded the cherry trees with plastic, smeared with Vaseline, in the hopes of deterring pests from taking up winter residence and damaging the canopy again this spring.


We moved the families into large, outdoor cages and everyone seems to be settling in.


The little kits are learning how to use the water bottles, and are also starting to eat alfalfa pellets.
 
 
Some are a bit more enthusiastic than others.
 
 
And some want to eat with mom.

2 comments:

  1. I am so impressed with all those tomatoes! I had hoped to have an abundance of green ones to can, but at least we have tomatoes to eat as desired. Your bees are amazing too, and your rabbits. It's nice to see so much of it coming together for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But I want ripe tomatoes! Adrian reassured me that we had eaten our share of tomatoes from the other plantings, and I pouted and crossed my arms and said that I was not ready to accept that these 20 plants, coddled since April as seedlings were a 'write off.' I pickled green tomatoes years ago, and no one here eats them. I also just opened the last jar of our Green Tomato Ketchup (of 2009, a similarly slow production year) for a barbecue on the weekend, and I don't think I can convince Adrian to make that again either. He still tells of sitting on the counter, stirring the pot until 3 am *sigh.* At least I've learned the use of roasting pans and crock pots in that vein..... I'd send you a bucket if I could! The bunnies are an adorable distraction, and I long for baby goats like yours.

      I'm just hoping the bees get back up to speed to overwinter safely. We take what we can get, right?!?

      Delete