Wednesday 18 September 2013

Apple Butter and Applesauce

I cooked down two full crock-pots of apples this week, and allowed the fruit to cool before putting it through a food mill (this one a mere $5.99 at the thrift store.  I used to see them all the time but I have been avoiding shopping therapy of any kind to save money).
 





Two full loads of apples became one full crock of milled sauce, which I cooked down for several hours (lid off to help evaporation), which then became 16 jars of Apple Butter and 3 jars of unsweetened applesauce.  I left them on the table overnight to make sure they cooled and sealed.  They still need to be labeled and put away in the pantry, but for now I can appreciate the results of a bit of work, backyard apples, a bit of sugar, and some spices.

I've condensed the plum slices I put into the dehydrator the other day - almost 20 pounds - and added more apple slices to the vacated trays.  The last of the apples, I picked from the trees, though some needed a bit more of a forceful tug than a gentle lift off the branches.  No more fallen fruit with bruises or nicks!  I shared a bucket with my neighbour, and the rest should keep over several weeks at least for baking, dehydrating or preserving.

1 comment:

  1. Hurray for crock pots. I use mine for making apple sauce, apple butter, and tomato sauce. Looks like you've got a wonderful bounty of fruit to enjoy this winter.

    ReplyDelete