Wednesday 1 May 2013

I Woke Up To Frost This Morning

My body clock seems to think that 6 a.m. is a good time to wake me for the day - regardless that I had just spent several hours the previous day helping reinforce and extend fencing in full sun and was feeling the effects. I grumpily trundled to the bathroom to splash some water on my face, looked out the window, and noticed that the canopy on the gazebo in the yard was sparkling in the morning sunshine.

Crap.

Out to the kitchen to look at the thermometer, yep - Zero degrees, and yep, there was a thin crust of ice on the barbecue cover.

And I put the mason bee cocoons out yesterday morning because I had been watching the weather forecast which lied to me.

Checking in with the chickens and rabbits, I stopped by the bee house to lift the cover and see if anyone had been woken from hibernation yesterday, and at a glance all of the cocoons are still whole. Hopefully, the weather will pick up today, as it is supposed to, and we will have no more of these chilly nights. If I had woken up a half-hour later, the frost would have been burnt away, and I wouldn't be left wondering if there was any negative impact on my cherry trees....time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment