Saturday 11 May 2013

Happy Chickens

We've been working to get the garden ready for the new planting season for a few weeks now, moving mulch and topsoil, weeding beds and repositioning volunteer plants. The tomato, squash and cucumber seedlings have been hardening off for the past several days, and are almost ready for transplanting.

On the other hand, while we make everything neat and tidy, the chickens are following behind us and creating their own idea of perfection - like trimming all of the barley they can reach through a wire barrier put up to exclude them, nipping bites out of all of my comfrey leaves, and making dust-bathing holes in the middle of my nicely-mulched garden.


 
They just look like they're having such a good time...I can neaten up later.

2 comments:

  1. Oh yes, chickens are tremendous "helpers." Mine do a smashing job of unmulching everything I mulch. :) I let them help stir up the litter in their coop by tossing in a handful of chicken scratch every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too direct them with scratch :) I've been spraying my fruit trees with a jet of water from the hose to minimize my canker worm 'issue,' and then getting them to clean up the little buggers once they've fallen to the ground. I keep my scratch in a large canning jar, and the chickens actually come running when I shake it! I know there's a trade-off in the process, because my slug and sawfly problems are lessened by their presence, and there's the eggs of course, but sometimes I wish they'd wait a day before they mess things up...

      Delete