Thursday 28 November 2013

Somedays I Wonder About Technology

Prompted for the umpteenth time to upgrade the software on my iPad, I have it downloading and plugged in (per the prompt that I should plug it in while it takes 45 minutes to download). I decided that maybe I should update my 4S iPhone (the update that I was putting off, after hearing so many people complain about it) so that the two are still able to sync, and find that I cannot do the update without more memory available.  
 
Go do a search online - on my laptop computer that seems to have slowed down notably, even since yesterday - to find out how to do the update to my phone without wiping everything off of it.  It's suggested to do the update through iTunes as an easier alternative - but should save my pics etc. "just in case."  
 
Can't save my pics to iTunes, though I made 3 attempts, because, well... it just won't. That's all I get.
 
Fine.
 
I will update the phone and think good thoughts.
 
Except I can't, because there's an update for iTunes, and I need to update iTunes in order to be able to update my phone.
 
Seriously? Fine.
 
Meanwhile, I have Mozilla, Internet Explorer, and now Chrome open, to run my online class, my searches, and my email and calendar respectively.  I have defaulted to using 3 different browsers because the first two drop my connections at various times, and I'm not sure if that's because I have a 'cheap' computer, a bad Internet connection, or because Windows 8 is fickle and doesn't like me, my non touch-screen computer, or a combination of some mysterious factors I cannot fathom.  I often start things up in the morning, finding that 'my PC ran into a problem....' (grrrr) and has shut everything down. I have to go through ten minutes of resetting all of my standard search windows before I can start my day.  Luckily I am fairly consistent at saving all of my Excel and Word documents, and have become a bit more obsessive of late.
Now I will need to wait while everything loads, and then restart my computer to reset iTunes, so that I can update my iPhone, so that I can sync to my updated iPad, and.....wait, apparently I have purchased items on the Phone that I need to back up, but it should have synced automatically when I plugged the cable in. 
 
Idiot proof my eye. 
 
There's a lot of valuable information available with access to the Internet, and smartphones and tablets can be valuable tools, but some days I just have to shake my head at the amount of time we spend looking at screens.
Maybe I'll give Adrian a call.....
 

No comments:

Post a Comment